Level 1 EIO Previous Year Papers Class 5 assist students in making preparations for the English Olympiad exams of class 5 as well as obtaining academic excellence. English question paper Class 5 is extremely useful, especially for exam preparation. Practice greatly increases the probability that students will permanently remember new information for the rest of their lives. Students in class 5 who are participating in the English Olympiad can use the previous year question papers offered by the Indian Talent Olympiad. Practising English questions improves their command of the language. Previous year's question papers have been used to familiarize the students with the NEO exam pattern. Students learn by improving their problem-solving abilities in all areas, such as abstract reasoning skills, concept formation, and a stronger capacity to identify, comprehend, and resolve issues, as well as their multitasking ability.
Total Questions : 50
Time : 65 Minutes
1. Additional 10 minutes will be given to students to fill up the student’s information before the start of the exam.
2. All questions are compulsory and carry equal marks. Use of calculator is not permitted.
3. There is only one correct answer, hence mark one choice only.
4. Rough work should be done on a blank sheet of paper.
1. Mr. Jagdish is confident ________ his success.
2. Choose the words that complete the blanks in the correct order. What ________ the word “acute” __________
Direction: Choose the word which is the exact OPPOSITE of the given word.
4. Even if it rains I shall come means……………..
a. if I come it will not rain
b. If it rains I shall not come
c. I will certainly come whether it rains or not
d. Whenever there is rain I shall come
Direction: Choose the one which can be substituted for the given word/sentence.
5. That which cannot be corrected
Direction (6-8): Which of phrases given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold type to make the grammatically correct?
6. The small child does whatever his father was done.
a. has done
d. had done
7. You need not come unless you want to.
a. You don’t need to come unless you want to
b. You come only when you want to
c. You come unless you don’t want to
d. You needn’t come until you don’t want to
8. There are not many men who are so famous that they are frequently referred
to by their short names only.
d. middle names
9. Find the correctly spelt word.
Direction: In the following the question choose the word which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
Direction (11-12): Choose the correct meaning of proverb/idiom, if there is no correct meaning given.
11. To cry wolf
a. To listen eagerly
b. To give false alarm
c. To turn pale
d. To keep off starvation
12. To leave someone in the lurch
a. To come to compromise with someone
b. Constant source of annoyance to someone
c. To put someone at ease
d. To desert someone in his difficulties
Direction: Each question consist of two words which have a certain relationship to each other followed by four pairs of related words. Select the pair which has the Same relationship.
13. GRAVITY : PULL
a. iron : metal
b. north pole : directions
c. magnetism : attraction
d. dust : desert
Direction (14-15): Read the each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical error in it. The error, if any will be in one part of the sentence. The letter of that part is the answer. If there is no error, the answer is ‘D’ (ignore the error of punctuation, if any)
14. (solve as per the direction given above)
a. If I had known
b. This yesterday
c. I will have helped him
d. No error
15. (solve as per the direction given above)
a. A lot of travel delay is caused
b. Due to the inefficiency and lack of good management
c. on behalf of the railways
d. No error
Direction (16-18): Find the correctly spelt words.
16. (solve as per the direction given above)
17. (solve as per the direction given above)
18. (solve as per the direction given above)
Direction (19-20): In the following the questions choose the word which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
Direction (21-22): In the following questions choose the word which is the exact OPPOSITE of the given words.
Direction (23-24): in questions given below out of four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given word/sentence.
23. One who is found of fighting
24. One who is not easily pleased by anything
Direction (25-26): In each question below, there is a sentence of which some parts have been jumbled up. Rearrange these parts which are labeled P, Q, R and S to produce the correct sentence.
25. Since the beginning of history
P. have managed to catch
Q. the Eskimos and Red Indians
R. by a very difficulty method
S. a few specimens of this aquatic animal
The Proper sequence should be:
26. The grocer
P : did not listen to the protest of customer
Q : who was in the habit of weighing less
R : whom he had cheated
S : with great audacity
27. How many meaningful English words can be formed with the letters EDOM using each letter only once in each word?
28. If Sand is coded as Brick, Brick as House, House as Temple, Temple as Palace then where do you worship?
29. How many meaningful English words, not ending with ‘D’ can be made, with the third, the fifth, the seventh and the ninth letters of the word ‘STEADFAST’ using each letter only once in each word? (All letters are counted from left to right)
30. In a row of boys facing North, a boy is thirteen from the left. When shifted to his right by three places, he becomes seventeenth from right end of the row. How many boys are there in the row?
31. Which is the one that does not belong to that group?
32. In the following question a series is given. Which one of the alternatives will replace the question-mark (?)?
Z, T, O, K, H, ?
33. Find the number of triangles in the given figure.
34. Look carefully at the sequence of symbols to find the pattern. Select correct pattern.
35. Which number will replace the question mark?
PASSAGE (Q. no. 36-38)
For more than 3 decades, I achieved great success as l lawyer, till a stroke left my right side totally paralysed. Despite the doctor’s encouragement. I was consumed by rage and self-pity. I yearned to be active again. But what could a middle-age cripple like me do? One day, glancing at some paintings I owned, I thought suddenly, “what about painting” ? in fact, I had always wanted to paint, but had never had the time. Now, I had plenty of time. In the last 25 years, I have completed 300 paintings ----- one of them appeared on the cover of the Reader’s Digest. The stroke, I realize, has helped me develop a latent talent and enjoy life.
36. Which one of the following is the correct statement?
While in the hospital, the author was---------
a. angry with himself for falling ill.
b. relieved at the successful treatment.
c. frustrated at his helpless situation.
d. resentful at being hospitalized.
37. Why did the author consider himself a cripple?
a. He could not go back to work
b. He could no longer use his right hand.
c. He could not use his time properly.
d. He could not lead an active life.
38. Which one of the following is the correct statement?
The paralytic stroke helped the author ----------
a. to face challenges in life successfully.
b. to realize his latent talent.
c. to learn a new hobby.
d. to each more money.
39. Their --------- names are Mr. Andrade, Mrs. Roby, and Miss Johnson.
40. Put the verb into the correct form, present simple or past simple, active or passive. While I was on holiday, my camera ---------- (steal) form my hotel room.
c. Was stealed
d. Was stolen
41. You need to attend school every day. You will succeed in your learning. Which
is the best way to combine these sentences?
a. Succeed in your learning and attend school.
b. You will succeed in your learning so attend school every day.
c. You need to attend school every day.
d. You will succeed in your learning and you attend school every day.
42. When (do) the next boat (leave)?
a. do, leave
b. does, leave
c. do, leaves
d. does, leaves
43. After the game, the disappointed players shook their heads sadly but refused to
Which word is the ADVERB?
Directions (Q. no. 44-45): Two words are given which are related to each other in some way. Find out the relationship between the first two words and choose the missing word, which bears the same relationship to the third word, as the first two bears.
44. Paw : Cat :: Hoof: ?
45. Car : Garage :: Aeroplane : ?
a. Port Depot
46. Pointing to the photograph, Vipul said, “She is the daughter of my
grandfather’s only son.” How is Vipul related to the girl in the photograph ?
47. Choose the word which is least like the other words.
48. Ram is taller than Shyam. Rahim is taller than Ram. Karim is taller than Shokat but smaller than Shyam. Who is the tallest?
Directions (Q. no. 49-50): Each of the following question is based on the following alphabet series.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
49. Which letter is exactly midway between H and S in the given alphabet?
50. Which of the following is the superlative form of little?